A delicious Arabic bread (recipe from Fauzia’s Kitchen: http://www.fauziaskitchenfun.com/khaliat-nahal-honeycomb-bread)
Recipe type: Bread
- BELOW: FOR GLAZE/SYRUP:
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pinch of saffron
- BELOW: FOR THE DOUGH
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. milk powder
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 4 tbsp. oil
- 4 tbsp. melted butter
- 1½ tsp. instant yeast
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6-8 pieces/triangles of cheese spread (like Laughing Cow)
- Mix the flour
- Add milk powder, sugar, yeast and salt. Then add the oil and butter and the egg, and mix together.
- Add all the milk.
- Knead this together and gradually add the water a little at a time. (You might not need it all so only add until the dough is soft). Knead for a about 8-10 minutes. (The more you knead it the softer the buns will be).
- Apply a bit of oil all over the ball of dough using your hands.
- Cover in a bowl and set aside for 40 minutes to an hour for it to double in size.
- Break off tiny bits of dough. You should get about 40 tiny pieces out of this. Take each piece of dough, and stretch it out with your fingers, then add a small piece of cheese in its center. Bring the edges together and form a ball so that the cheese is completely enclosed within the dough. Repeat this with all the dough.
- Grease your pan/pans with butter. Place the balls of dough in a ‘honeycomb’ pattern. Try to get them close to each other so that there are no or very little spaces in between.
- Cover the pans and set aside for a second rise, about half an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 180 C and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the bread is nice and golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and pour your syrup all over the hot bread. The syrup needs to be cool and the bread needs to be steaming hot straight from the oven.
- Allow to cool before eating.