Art Project! Make your own Maraca
What is a maraca?
A maraca is a musical instrument that sounds a bit like a rattle. This is a simple project so grab some friends and make some music!
What you need:
- A table to work over (cover it with newspapers so you don’t make a mess)
- 2 round balloons
- White glue
- Two cardboard tubes (paper towel tube or a tube from gift-wrapping paper)
- Masking tape
- Bright colored paint and a paintbrush
- Crepe paper
- A jar
- A measuring cup
- A foil pan
- A pin
- 24 dried beans/small pebbles
What to do:
- Blow up both of the balloons and tie the ends closed of each.
- Take one of the balloons and put in the mouth of the jar.
- Cut strips of newspaper. These strips should be about 6 inches long and ½ inch wide.
- Mix 1/2 cup white glue and 1/2 cup water in the foil pan. Dip the newspaper strips in the mixture and carefully put the strips on the balloon. Make this layer strong by applying 5 or 6 layers and cover the entire balloon (except for the bottom part where it is tied).
- Repeat process for the second balloon and let both balloons dry overnight.
- Use the pin to burst the balloons where you tied them. Let the air leave the balloon and pull it out from the mold that you made with the newspaper. Hold each balloon in turn by the tied end and burst it with a pin. When the balloon has gotten small enough, pull it out by the tied end.
- Put 12 of the beans/pebbles in each maraca and then take the hole closed.
- Take the cardboard tubes (one per maraca). These will make a handle for each maraca.
- Ask a parent to help you cut four (3 inch) parallel lengthwise slits into the end of each tube. Above the slits, circle it with tape.
- Now, spread the slit pieces apart to fit the maraca on the slits. Now tape each maraca on to a cardboard tube.
- Next, paint the maracas (be creative and try different designs). Allow the maracas to dry overnight.
- Optional: you can decorate the handles by cutting crepe paper and wrapping it around the handles or cutting the ends to create a fringe. You can cut circles out of the crepe paper and glue it to your maracas to add more flair.
- Finally, make some music!