Try out some of my favorite Indian recipes! Most of these are family recipes and I have grown up eating them. Enjoy!
One of my favorite Indian family recipes. It is on the sweet side, so it is normally eaten as desert, but I also like to make it less sweet and have it at breakfast.
Recipe type: Dessert/Breakfast
- 1 cup semolina flour (suji)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- Optional: hand-full of almonds or raisins
- In a pan, roast semolina flour in a little bit of oil for a short time. Stir constantly.
- Put in the sugar and continue to stir as it roasts. Do this for about 30 seconds.
- Mix in water and milk (and if desired, almonds and raisins) and stir until thickened. The mixture will continue to thicken a little bit as it cools. It also may taste a bit sweeter while it is hot. As it cools down, the strong sweet taste will slightly disappear.
- Allow halva to slightly cool and enjoy! It is best served warm.
Roasting the semolina flour
The halva is now thickening